This is now finished. I was not very pleased with the background, so am putting this one down to experience. I have learnt that 'if it aint broke, dont fix it' and this applies to adding things to drawings (like backgrounds) that it doesnt need!
Its been a long time since I posted here, though I have been working hard! I have some new commissions completed, and though they are not yet on my website, they can be seen on my facebook page in my horse commissions photo album http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Stephanie-Greaves-Artist/101899346519295
Before I start my next commission, I have taken some time out to practice my coloured pencil skills using a lovely photo I took at the Yearling Sales at Tattersalls Newmarket recently. This will be a little head study which I hope will be a nice christmas gift sized gallery piece.
Here is where I am so far, a few days in. ^^
I also have some acrylic paintings planned for the near future.
This is a new acrylic painting which I am squeezing inbetween commissions :)
I just loved the jaunty pose of this yearling, she is a real character! The angles, though they look slightly off, are right so I am hoping that when I do the ears and mane it will look right again. The mane is wild!
After a successful sale of 'The whipper in' (see post below) 'Chilling out' is now also listed on ebay ending in 2 days time. Current bidding is far less than its worth, so it will be a bargain for someone!
This is a new portrait in acrylics of a TB racehorse.
14 x 182 Acrylic on canvas.
I took some lovely photos of this horse at a meet in Newmarket UK, just after the race where he was placed 3rd. This was an experimental portrait as I am hoping to offer them on commission alongside my coloured pencil work.
With 3 of my 4 children poorly and off school today, it is a miracle that any painting has been done at all! I have managed a little progress on this acrylic painting though. Still a way to go ..he needs legs and his rider needs a boot!
This one is trickier than I thought! I have spent a couple of hours on this tiny horses head, and I still need to do a couple more layers! Its really hard to blend acrylic paint I think, but it is a great medium for me as Im impatient, and I can layer pretty much straight away without making mud. I tend to fiddle too much with oil paint and Im finding with the speed of the acrylic drying I just cant do that!
Anyway here is a brief update, still work to do here! I have made the cloudy sky a bit purpler too, I want the effect of a grey day without being dull.
Feel like Im getting somewhere with this little girly now, a couple more hours have been spent with colour glazes. The only think that concerns me a bit is that its lost some of the contrasts, and looks a bit smooth, But I still have at least one more layer to do plus details so Ill look again tomorrow.
This is a light colour layer using oils and linseed, I need to make her head slightly less dainty and her eye bigger, but Im happy with this as a base to work on. The mane and tail are fuller but I cant add it in until the later stages.
I had prepped and painted yellow two box canvasses at Christmas time, but (until now) had not been inspired to paint anything on them! I really wanted to do a small oil as they have been selling well. This is a lovely yearling filly that I have painted before (top right of my blog banner) and Im just playing about with a study of her cantering. This is a very sketchy underpainting (or grisaille) which gives a general idea of the shape and tones. I cant wait to get the colour on this one!
The first of the trio os now completed, I hope to get the next two done a little quicker now I have no other work on. I wasn't sure if I had overworked the rough curls in the neck, but it is an old dog so perhaps it helps show that a little.
Just a quick A4 to fill in a day. With the children off school for Easter the real work has taken a bit of a backseat, so I am really looking forward to starting a 3 dog commission next week. I also have a Wedding cake to make so it will be a busy week. :-)